Linguistics grad school recommendations

PAUL B GARRETT pgarrett at TEMPLE.EDU
Mon May 13 22:12:05 UTC 2013

Adding to Judy's good suggestions:

Once a professor has agreed to write a letter for you, you should provide
him/her with a single clear, comprehensive set of practical information: a
complete list of the programs to which you're applying; the due dates for
each; whether the letter is to be submitted online or sent by email or
regular mail (and the address to which it is to be sent, if the latter); a
link to the main website of each program; and anything else that you can
think of that might be useful.  Basically, you should put yourself in the
professor's place and anticipate every little thing that s/he is going to
need in order to write a good letter for you, in ample time, and get it
sent off to wherever it needs to go.

If you haven't seen the professor in a while, it may be a good idea to
update him/her by providing your résumé/CV, maybe a copy of your
transcript, and anything else that might help.  (But don't send too much
stuff--only what's most relevant to your application.)

And it is definitely a good idea to send him/her your application
essay/personal statement as soon as you have it ready (or nearly ready), so
that s/he can write the recommendation letter in a way that supports and
reinforces your statement in the best ways possible.  (A really dedicated
professor might even offer you some advice about ways that you can make
your statement stronger.)

 -- Paul

  Paul B. Garrett
  Associate Professor
    & Director of Graduate Studies
  Department of Anthropology
  Temple University
  Philadelphia, PA  19122
  USA

Dear Paul, and other undergraduates with this question,