New Association for Studies on Discourse and Society (Pen ínsula Ibérica)

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo lxalvarz at UDC.ES
Thu May 16 19:40:38 UTC 2013

(Apologies for cross-posting)

Dear all,

I am attaching the Welcome message from Luisa Martín Rojo, President of the newly created association EDiSo - Asociación de Estudios sobre Discurso y Sociedad , formed in Spain but with the Iberian Peninsula as its main focus and scope.  If the message loses its HTML code, I hope the link to the Association's webpage can be followed: http://www.edisoportal.org .

Regards,
-celso

Celso Alvarez Cáccamo
lxalvarz at udc.es
=============

Welcome to EDiSo - Association for Studies on Discourse and Society.
Membership Now Open. Please Join Us!
 Español  •  Português  •  Català  •  Euskera  •  English

Dear Colleagues,

          I am writing on behalf of EDiSo (Estudios sobre Discurso y Sociedad, Studies on Discourse and Society), a newly established association founded on the initiative of Professor Teun A. van Dijk, who assembled a group of researchers to work towards the creation of the now registered association: Gloria Álvarez Benito, Celso Álvarez Cáccamo, Antonio M. Bañón Hernández, Olga Cruz Moya, Mohamed El-Madkouri Maataoui, Carmen Gregori Signes, Clara Keating, Luisa Martín Rojo, Esperanza Morales López, Luci Nussbaum Capdevilla, Montserrat Ribas Bisbal, Marta Tordesillas Colado, Teun A. van Dijk, and Julia Williams Camus. On the EDiSo website, http://www.edisoportal.org, you will find all the necessary information on how to become a member.

          The aim of the Association is to promote scientific exchange and interdisciplinary collaboration among individual researchers and national and international research groups studying discourse from different perspectives and with different methodologies and goals. The Association provides a forum for the circulation of information and the diffusion of our work, for moving beyond isolation, and for the promotion of training, collaboration and professional practice in discourse studies, with special focus on the younger members. As to the Association's role in society, we aim to contribute to the generation of discourse and public debate in order to raise awareness concerning the relationship between discourse, language and society.

          The geographical scope of the Association is the Iberian Peninsula. Internal communication is based on the principle of mutual understanding, that is, members may express themselves in the language of their choice at any given time.

          The Association has been designed with a dynamic and participative structure, allowing everyone to find their place according to their availability and to their own initiative. Currently, several working committees are being set up and members will be able to join them shortly. The committees that are now being started include: the Internal Organisation Committee, the Election Committee, the Committee for Territorial and Linguistic Cohesion, Discourse and Social Justice, the Communication Committee, the Funding Committee, and the Committee for Conferences, Cultural Activities and Publishing. We hope new members become involved in any of these committees and make contributions to creating new ones.

          Although it is still early days, you can see that we have already started to work with enthusiasm. We would like to take this opportunity to encourage all to become members of EDiSo. The  association's annual registration fees are 30, 20, or 10 Euros. Any of these fees guarantees that a member will participate on equal terms in the association and will have the same rights and responsibilities. Please select the fee which best suits your capabilities and your situation. At the annual renewal period, you may change to any of the other then-current fees.

          At its second foundational meeting, the promoting group decided to name Teun A. van Dijk as the Association's first Member of Honour, a recognition which is contemplated in our Statutes.

          Until elections are held at an extraordinary general meeting, the composition of the Association's Directive Board is as follows:

Luisa Martín Rojo, President
Carmen Gregori Signes, Vice President
Marta Tordesillas Colado, Secretary
Gloria Álvarez Benito, Vice Secretary
Olga Cruz Moya, Treasurer
Celso Álvarez Cáccamo
Antonio M. Bañón Hernández
Clara Keating
Luci Nussbaum Capdevila
Montserrat Ribas Bisbal
Mohamed El-Madkouri Maataoui

Luisa Martín Rojo, on behalf of the promoting group
May 14, 2013

Download in PDF