Hating one's own speech

Dave Paulson dave.paulson at TEMPLE.EDU
Fri May 17 17:05:20 UTC 2013

This topic reminds me of a certain point in the documentary *Sociology is a
Martial Art, *where Pierre Bourdieu discusses hating the accent from his
hometown.

See this clip at the 10-minute mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtJp_ULuKeQ

"I was ashamed of my accent, which I had corrected when I went to the Ecole
normale...When I got to Dax and I heard the accent I was horrified! Even
today certain accents make me physically ill. And yet it is the accent that
I had...Here's a true form of symbolic violence."

Best,
Dave Paulson

--
Dave Paulson