Oxford ling anth series at AAA

Laura Ahearn ahearn at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU
Tue Nov 12 18:55:01 UTC 2013

Dear All,

Do you have a book manuscript that is ethnographically rich and theoretically innovative?  If so, stop by the Oxford University Press booth in the exhibit hall at the AAA conference in Chicago next week during the following times to tell me about your book:

Thursday, November 21st, 2:00 - 3:30 p.m.
Friday, November 22nd, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, November 23rd, 2:00 - 4:00 p.m.

To give you a better sense of the focus of our new series, Oxford Studies in the Anthropology of Language, I have copied some information in below from a flyer.  If you have any questions, or if you will be unable to stop by the Oxford booth during the times listed, just let me know, and we can either find a different time to get together in Chicago or be in touch via e-mail, phone, or Skype.

I look forward to seeing many of you next week and hearing about your book projects!

Laura

***********************
The series Oxford Studies in the Anthropology of Language publishes scholarly work that treats linguistic practices as forms of social action. We consider two types of manuscripts: (1) those in which language itself is the main object of inquiry; and (2) those in which linguistic analysis is used as a method to shed light on other objects of inquiry. All works published in the series are ethnographically rich, theoretically exciting, and/or innovative in form or content. Issues appropriate for the series include linguistic inequality, old and new literacies, linguistic relativity, the contexts of linguistic change, language socialization, institutional discourse, agency and language, modernization and traditionalization, language contact, language endangerment and revitalization, poetics and performance, language ideologies, narrative analysis, and the aesthetics of language use.
The series welcomes monographs, edited volumes, and experiments in other, particularly dialogic, formats. We also especially encourage submissions of manuscripts that are readable and accessible to a wide array of potential audiences.

Although the editorial board -- Laura Ahearn (General Editor), Alessandro Duranti, Paul Garrett, and Justin Richland -- can only recommend a contract upon review of a complete or nearly complete manuscript, we welcome expressions of interest from authors or editors of volumes at any stage of the writing process.

Interested authors should contact Laura Ahearn at ahearn at rutgers.edu.

Laura M. Ahearn
Associate Professor, Rutgers University
Department of Anthropology
Series Editor, Oxford Studies in the Anthropology of Language
(703) 241-4127
Twitter: @AhearnLaura
http://www.anthro.rutgers.edu/fac/department-undergrad-a-grad-faculty/laura-ahearn