AAA business meeting resolution on part-time academic labor

Nathaniel Dumas nadumas at UCSC.EDU
Wed Nov 13 15:29:27 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues,

This is great news! I recently organized a panel on this very issue for the 2013 Conference of Ford Fellows. The panel was entitled "Contingent Faculty in Today's Academe: Strategies and Experiences," and we had Gary Rhoades (University of Arizona), one of the foremost researchers in this area. If anyone would like the materials from the panel, please let me know. (One of the things we discussed was mentoring strategies for new PhDs who are entering the market, for many of us were advised by those who have never been contingent faculty, and we made sure to feature Ford Fellows who had been contingent faculty and transitioned into tenure-track positions.) I'm also working on something with the New Faculty Majority Foundation, a research/applied project that deals with developing research mentorship for contingent faculty and counteracting the stereotype that contingent faculty only seek to teach and not continue their research. If anyone has an interest in these materials, let me know offline. (Also, if you do not know Alan Trevithick, he is an anthropologist who also is a board member of the New Faculty Majority, the largest non-profit of contingent faculty members, and is also on the AAA's Committee for Labor Relations. He's a great source of information on contingent faculty and was a major figure in the Campus Equity Week events nation-wide.) Also see the Delphi Project, hosted at USC, which has the most up to date information on this issue, at http://www.thechangingfaculty.org/.

Best,
Nate

Sent from my iPad