SLA Presidential Conversation on Language and Mobility

Jonathan Rosa jdrosa1 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 18 17:02:28 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues:

Please find the details for this year's SLA Presidential Conversation copied below. Hilary Dick, Adrienne Lo, and I organized this event at the request of current SLA President, Norma Mendoza-Denton. The theme for this year's Presidential Conversation, "Language and Mobility," was developed in conjunction with the AAA's Public Education Initiative (PEI) on Migration; we will discuss the PEI and the role that linguistic anthropology can play in it. We hope to see you at this event on Friday!

Sincerely,
Jonathan Rosa, Hilary Dick, and Adrienne Lo

---

SOCIETY FOR LINGUISTIC ANTHROPOLOGY PRESIDENTIAL CONVERSATION ON LANGUAGE AND MOBILITY: RETHINKING THE POPULATIONS, PRACTICES, AND PLACES OF “MIGRATION”
Friday, November 22, 2013
12:15pm to 1:30pm
Chicago Hilton (Williford A)

Event Description
In conjunction with the AAA Public Education Initiative on Migration, this event will engage the co-constitutive relationships between language practices and the forms of mobility that are enabled and constrained by the processes of late capitalism. Participants will explore new approaches to mobility and language through a dialogic format. During the first part of the event, invited participants will offer brief reflections on the topic of language and mobility, posing questions that will help facilitate an open conversation on this topic, which will unfold during the second half of the event.

Participants/Discussion Leaders
- Adrienne Lo, Hilary Dick, and Jonathan Rosa
-­ Bonnie McElhinny and Monica Heller
-­ Shalini Shankar
-­ Alejandro Paz and Rosina Marquez
-­ Jan Blommaert