FW: JLA missing from JSTOR? Or recommended search aggregators?

Oona Schmid oschmid at AAANET.ORG
Thu Oct 17 13:14:01 UTC 2013

Dear Alejandro Paz,

Thank you for raising this topic. After reading your email, I wrote JSTOR and they agreed to include the Journal of Linguistic Anthropology in a forthcoming package on language. As Erika Alpert pointed out, linguistics and languages are not well-covered in the current Arts & Sciences packages, so I'm delighted at both developments. Inclusion in the package may still take some time as we arrange for all backfiles to be scanned.

In the meanwhile, I also wanted to respond to your question concerning information aggregators. The digital era poses a daily (hourly?) flood of information. In the recent (very small sample size) survey I did on technology use by anthropologists, I asked respondents: Do you use any of the following alerting tools to learn about new scholarly content? (check all that apply.)

49.44% said they use Social media sites, like Academia.edu, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc.
33.71% said they use Blogs
32.58% said they use Automated alerts from a search engine (like Google Alerts) or from an RSS feed
I was surprised that only 10.11% said they use eTOC or keyword alerts from publishers.

You might find that you want to set up an automated alert (using very specific keywords for your research areas) from Google and/or post to ask about blogs that are particularly interesting to someone working in your scholarly areas.
All best, Oona

Oona Schmid
Director, Publishing
American Anthropological Association