LINGANTH Digest - 18 Oct 2013 to 19 Oct 2013 (#2013-116)

Katherine Martineau kbmartineau at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 20 16:28:41 UTC 2013

Dear Alejandro,

I'm currently writing about the language ideologies of free speech among
journalists in eastern India, but that work won't be out for a couple of
years. Though not strictly in linguistic anthropology. I would highly
suggest the following:

Schiller, N. (2013). Reckoning with press freedom: Community media,
liberalism, and the processual state in Caracas, Venezuela. *American
Ethnologist*, *40*(3), 540-554.

Coleman, G. (2012). *Coding freedom: the ethics and aesthetics of hacking*.
Princeton University Press.
-- plus her piece in Cultural Anthropology

Asad, T., Brown, W., Butler, J., & Mahmood, S. (2009). *Is critique
secular?: blasphemy, injury, and free speech*. Townsend Center. (available
for download at http://escholarship.org/uc/item/84q9c6ft)

Keane, W. (2009). Freedom and blasphemy: on Indonesian press bans and
Danish cartoons. *Public culture*, *21*(1), 47-76.

On censorship, William Mazzarella's recent book and edited collection on
censorship may be useful. You might also suggest Gayle Rubin's critique of
the anti-pornography movement, citation below, and Anne Allison's *Permitted
and Prohibited Desires*.

Rubin, G. 1993. “Misguided, Dangerous, and Wrong: An Analysis of
Antipornography Politics.” In *Bad Girls and Dirty Pictures*, 18–40.
For thinking about corollaries in the linguistic anthropology literature, I
have found it useful to think less about "free speech" and more about the
specific issues -- so about insult, property, state regimentations,
dangerous words, etc. You are welcome to have your student or colleague
contact me directly if they have a specific area of interest. I might have
a better citation for them.

best wishes,

Katherine Martineau
PhD Candidate