Silence and Free Speech (separate requests)

David Boromisza-Habashi dbh at COLORADO.EDU
Sun Oct 20 17:31:08 UTC 2013

Chapter 4 of my ethnographic study of the Hungarian hate speech debates looks at cultural discourses of free speech vs. hate speech:

http://www.psupress.org/books/titles/978-0-271-05637-1.html

David

--
David Boromisza-Habashi, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, Department of Communication, University of Colorado Boulder

http://colorado.academia.edu/DavidBoromiszaHabashi
From: Linguistic Anthropology Discussion Group [LINGANTH at listserv.linguistlist.org] On Behalf Of Alejandro Paz [alejandro.paz at UTORONTO.CA]
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:24 PM
To: LINGANTH at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Silence and Free Speech (separate requests)

Dear Colleagues,

I have two separate requests for references from a student and a
colleague, which you may perhaps be able to help me with.

First is work on silence. I know articles by Sue Gal and Norma
Mendoza-Denton, as well as Richard Bauman's book on the Quakers.
Anything you recommend apart from that?

The second is work on "free speech." Here, nothing came directly to mind
on that topic. Although related would be stuff on public oratory and
public spheres, especially in democratic polities, and then of course on
censorship (like Domenic Boyer's article). So any suggestions here on
"free speech" or on "censorship" appreciated.

Thank you,
Alejandro

Alejandro Paz
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
University of Toronto Scarborough
Graduate Depts of Anthropology and Linguistics
University of Toronto