LINGANTH Digest - 16 Sep 2013 to 18 Sep 2013 (#2013-101)

Elise Kramer elise at UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Sep 19 04:40:54 UTC 2013

Hi Eleanor,

Herring, Johnson, and DiBenedetto's chapter in Gender Articulated,
entitled "'This Discussion is Going too Far!': Male Resistance to
Female Participation on the Internet," would likely be of interest to
you. It describes two situations (one of which involved a linguistics
mailing list that shall not be named!) that are very similar to the
one you describe.

In a more macro sense, some feminist writing on political correctness
(e.g. Deborah Cameron's PC chapter in Verbal Hygiene) touches on a
similar "mainstream culture overreacts to feminist interventions"
pattern.

More generally, "high-school-aged boys responding to mild feminist
critique with astonishingly violent invective" constitutes about 20%
of the internet these days (outranked only by cat videos and
pornography). The case of Anita Sarkeesian is a noteworthy one --
she's a video blogger who critiques gender roles in video games, and
the responses she gets from (some) male gamers have been... vehement,
to say the least. If you Google her I'm sure you'll find plenty of
information about it, since the whole ordeal has been a topic of
discussion on a range of feminist blogs.

Best,
Elise Kramer

--
Elise Kramer, PhD