Chinese women's speech

Qing Zhanq zhangq1 at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Sep 19 19:09:05 UTC 2013

Marjorie Chan's online bibliography <
http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/chan9/g-bib.htm> is a great resource,
but I'm not sure when it was last updated. The following may also be
relevant:
Farris, Catherine S. 1994. “A Semiotic Analysis Of *Sajiao *as a Gender
Marked Communication Style in Chinese.” In *Unbound Taiwan: Closeups from a
Distance*, edited by Marshall Johnson and Fred Y.L. Chiu, 1-29. Chicago:
Center for East Asian Studies.

Su, Hsi-Yao. 2008. "What Does It Mean to Be a Girl with Qizhi?: Refinement,
Gender and Language Ideologies in Contemporary Taiwan." Journal of
Sociolinguistics 12 (3):334-358.

Zhang, Qing. 2007. "Cosmopolitanism and Linguistic Capital in China:
Language, Gender and the Transition to a Globalized Market Economy in
Beijing." In Words, Worlds, and Material Girls: Language, Gender,
Globalization, edited by S. McElhinny Bonnie, 403-422. Berlin: Mouton de
Gruyter.

Zhang, Wei, and Cheris Kramarae. 2012. "Are Chinese Women Turning
Sharp-Tongued?" Discourse & Society 23 (6):749-770.

Qing Zhang, PhD
Assistant Professor
School of Anthropology
University of Arizona