Call for Papers: The Sociolinguistics of Globalization: (De)centring and (de)standardization The University of Hong Kong, 3-6 June 2015

Katherine Chen khychen at HKU.HK
Wed Sep 25 16:38:25 UTC 2013

FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS

*The Sociolinguistics of Globalization: *

*(De)centring and (de)standardization*

The University of Hong Kong, 3-6 June 2015

http://www.english.hku.hk/events/slxg2015

Following on a decade from the ‘Language & Global Communication’ conference
held at Cardiff University (2005), the sociolinguistics of globalization
has emerged and developed as an important, interdisciplinary programme of
research. Much excellent work has broadened our understanding of the role
of language in the representation, manifestation and spread of the
ideologies and material processes of globalization. We invite a reflection
and re-assessment of these issues. Specifically, as suggested in the
subtitle of the conference, we propose to focus on issues of spatial and
symbolic mobility, change and paradigmatic state of flux that appear to
characterize much of contemporary social life. With the social, cultural,
political and economic processes continuing to destabilize traditional
‘centres’ and normativities, we are interested in identifying new, emerging
regimes of language, dominant language ideologies, and the resources that
are deployed to maintain and to subvert these ideologies.

We continue asking two fundamental and interrelated questions: How are we
to continue theorizing language and communication under globalization? How
can sociolinguistic theory shed new light on our understanding of
globalization?

The topics of the papers, colloquia and plenaries include, but are not
limited to, the following key themes:

 ·     communities, networks, groups and individuals

·     organizations, institutions, collectives

·     time and place

·     hubs, margins and peripheries

·     nodes and trajectories

·     work and leisure

·     war and peace

·     heart and mind

·     love and hate

·     thinking beyond the binaries

·     the commodification of social life

·     crisis? what crisis?

·     occupy and activism

·     resources

·     superdiversity, class, privilege

·     creativity, reproduction, appropriation

·     legitimacy, censorship, contestation and (self-) reflexivity

·     mobilities, cultures of (im)mobility and displacement

·     singularity and normativity

·     mediations and mediatizations

·     embodied and multisensory communication

·     affect, pleasure, sensuality

·     technologies, environments, futures

·     art and performance

·     rituals and spectacles

*Plenary Speakers*

PROFESSOR NIKOLAS COUPLAND

University of Technology, Sydney and Copenhagen University

PROFESSOR CHRISTOPHER HUTTON

University of Hong Kong

PROFESSOR MICHELLE LAZAR

National University of Singapore

PROFESSOR CHRISTOPHER STROUD

University of the Western Cape

PROFESSOR KATHRYN WOOLARD

University of California, San Diego

*We invite abstract submissions for the following types of contributions*:

INDIVIDUAL PAPERS: 30 minutes including 10 minutes for discussion.

COLLOQUIA: to consist of 4-8 individual papers.

Proposals for colloquia should include one abstract outlining the theme and
rationale of the colloquium and individual abstracts for all papers to be
presented in the colloquium. Colloquia organizers are welcome to post a
call for abstracts on the conference website by sending the title and a
brief description of the colloquium to the organizers at
<slxg2015 at hku.hk<https://hkucc1.hku.hk/owa/redir.aspx?C=25cc10b221964e66aff56b488a8d83ce&URL=mailto%3aslxg2015%40hku.hk>
>.

*Timescale*

1st call for papers – September 2013

2nd call for papers – February 2014

Submission of abstracts opens – 1 July 2014

Submission of abstracts closes – 30 September 2014

Notification of acceptance – January 2015

Registration opens – January 2015

Conference takes place 3–6 June 2015**

*Organizing Committee*

The Conference is organized by The School of English, The University of
Hong Kong <www.english.hku.hk>

Katherine Chen

Adam Jaworski (Chair)

Agnes Kang

Lisa Lim

Adrian Pablé

*Contact*

‘The Sociolinguistics of Globalization 2015’

School of English

The University of Hong Kong

Pokfulam Road

Hong Kong