Research on varying literacies

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 18 18:54:53 UTC 2014

Dear friends:

One of my current projects is working on a #ReadSameReadDifferent campaign
designed to support books featuring children of color but also to encourage
reading across cultural lines--the resegregation of America has led to
abysmal statistics for the number of diverse children's books each year.
Even when libraries stock multicultural books, they are not being checked
out.  In order to combat this we are pushing people read pairs or sets of
books on common themes.

I am writing to get your input on the most recent ethnographically sound
research on community literacy practices that we could highlight when
putting together lesson plans based on both the common core and paired sets
of books.  This whole field needs a solid dose of linguistic anthropology.
I was thinking along the lines of more recent versions of Shirley Brice
Heath's work comparing What and Why use among 3 communities.

Hope this finds you all well,

Leila

ps: If you are interested in joining our group, just friend me on Facebook
and drop me a note, I'd be happy to add you.

--
Leila Monaghan, PhD
Department of Anthropology