sources on fieldnotes in ling anth?

King, Dr Alexander D. a.king at ABDN.AC.UK
Thu Aug 7 20:53:55 UTC 2014

I really like the short book by Brice and Heath titled _On Ethnography_. It is a linguistic anthropology take on methods exploring writing practices and literacy as well as more general stuff. They address fieldnotes a bit. Blommaert has a book on ethnography that he co-authored with a phd student that is also interesting and accessible to undergraduates, although the project scale is bigger.

I am also a believer in fieldnotes. The language documentation sub-discipline in linguistics has been exploding with methodological articles. You could browse the issue of Language Documentation and Conservation (http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/ldc/), for example. That stuff is very comprehensive and systematic, so there may be something good for teaching. To be honest, I think they have just re-discovered Boas, so I don't find it as intellectually innovative as many of my colleagues in linguistics find it, but linguists are good about systematic approaches to "data" and "metadata" (their two terms for fieldnotes).

best,
Alex

On 7 Aug, 2014, at 7:57 PM, Evelyn Dean Olmsted <evelyn.dean at UPR.EDU> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm teaching an undergrad ling anth methods seminar this semester.  I'm
> familiar with several good sources on writing fieldnotes in cultural
> anthropology, but has anything been written on fieldnotes in linguistic
> anthropology, specifically?  The subfield has, of course, unique challenges
> and requirements related to documenting linguistic data and the details of
> verbal interactions.  I for one am a firm believer that fieldnotes remain
> an important data source, whether to supplement recordings or in their own
> right when recording is not feasible.
>
> Thanks,
> Evelyn
>
> --
> Dra. Evelyn Dean-Olmsted
> Catedrática Auxiliar, Departamento de Sociología y Antropología
> Universidad de Puerto Rico, Recinto Río Piedras
> evelyn.dean at upr.edu

Senior Lecturer and Head of Department, Anthropology, University of Aberdeen (office x2732, EWB G2)

Koryaks Net: http://www.koryaks.net/blog
Sibirica: http://journals.berghahnbooks.com/sib/
Koryak Language Archive: http://elar.soas.ac.uk/deposit/0167
Tweet @Ememqut01

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.