[Linganth] Oxford Studies in the Anthropology of Language

Laura Ahearn ahearn at rci.rutgers.edu
Tue Dec 2 04:00:52 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Please see the call for manuscripts below, and fill out the Expression of Interest form if you have a project that might be appropriate for our series. You are also invited to stop by the Oxford University Press booth at the AAAs to speak with me during my "office hours": 2-4pm on Thursday; 1-2pm on Friday; and 10am-12noon on Saturday. Hallie Stebbins, our Oxford editor, will also be there on Thursday and Friday, so feel free to speak with her as well if I am not there.

We look forward to hearing about your book projects!

Laura

*****************************
Laura M. Ahearn
AAAS Science & Technology Policy Fellow
USAID Global Development Lab, Research and Innovation Fellowships
Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology (on leave)
Series Editor, Oxford Studies in the Anthropology of Language
Office: (202) 712-4348; Cell: (703) 314-2383
Twitter: @AhearnLaura
http://www.anthro.rutgers.edu/fac/department-undergrad-a-grad-faculty/laura-ahearn

CALL FOR MANUSCRIPTS
Oxford Studies in the Anthropology of Language invites authors to submit a short “Expression of Interest” form in order to have a book manuscript (or manuscript in progress) considered for review and possible publication in the series.  This series is devoted to works from a wide array of scholarly traditions that treat linguistic practices as forms of social action. We consider two types of manuscripts: (1) those in which language itself is the main object of inquiry; and (2) those in which linguistic analysis is used as a method to shed light on other objects of inquiry.
The series welcomes monographs, edited volumes, and experiments in other, particularly dialogic, formats. We also especially encourage submissions of manuscripts that are readable and accessible to a wide range of potential audiences. Manuscripts should be ethnographically rich, theoretically exciting, and/or innovative in form or content. Issues appropriate for the series include linguistic inequality, old and new literacies, linguistic relativity, the contexts of linguistic change, language socialization, institutional discourse, agency and language, language contact, language endangerment and revitalization, poetics and performance, language ideologies, narrative analysis, language, gender, and sexuality, and the aesthetics of language use.
The editorial board especially welcomes expressions of interest from authors or editors of volumes that are innovative in form or content.  Examples might include the following sorts of projects, though we are open to other possibilities:
v  Dialogic formats such as interviews or exchanges between pairs of scholars, between scholars and research subjects, or among research subjects;

v  Short co-authored volumes on key theoretical or methodological issues;
v  Edited volumes consisting of thematically organized chapters that speak to multiple audiences with different levels of interest and expertise;
v  Monographs with rich ethnographic and linguistic data analyzed in innovative theoretical or methodological ways.
The editorial board can only offer contracts upon review of complete or nearly complete manuscripts, but we welcome expressions of interest from authors or editors of volumes at any stage of the writing process. If you have a manuscript, or an idea for a manuscript, that you would like the editorial board to consider, please fill out this form and return it electronically to the Series Editor, Laura Ahearn, at Ahearn at rutgers.edu.   Thank you.
Editorial Board
Laura M. Ahearn, Series Editor
Alessandro Duranti
Paul Garrett
Justin Richland

****************************
Expression of Interest Form
Oxford Studies in the Anthropology of Language
Oxford University Press
Alessandro Duranti, Series Editor

Lead Author or Editor's Name _________________________  E-mail  _______________ Phone ______

Are there co-authors?   If so, who are they?

This is a (circle one):       Single-Authored Monograph       Edited Volume     Other (please explain below)

In a paragraph or two (no longer than the space remaining on this page), please describe your book and explain why you think it might fit well into our series.  Also indicate how much of it is already written.  Thanks very much for your interest in our new series!