LINGANTH Digest - 30 Jan 2014 to 31 Jan 2014 (#2014-12)

Jessica Taylor jessica.taylor at UTORONTO.CA
Sat Feb 1 16:59:39 UTC 2014

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations! They're very helpful.

-Jessica

-----Original Message-----
From: Linguistic Anthropology Discussion Group <LINGANTH at listserv.linguistlist.org> [mailto:Linguistic Anthropology Discussion Group =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=20<LINGANTH at listse?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?rv.linguistlist.?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?org>=15?=] On Behalf Of LINGANTH automatic digest system
Sent: February-01-14 12:00 AM
To: LINGANTH at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: LINGANTH Digest - 30 Jan 2014 to 31 Jan 2014 (#2014-12)

Topics of the day:

  1. recommendation documentary on a Sign Language/Deaf community (3)
  2. Wyoming History MA program looking for students

Date:    Fri, 31 Jan 2014 12:26:24 +0000
From:    Alastair Cole <Alastair.Cole at ED.AC.UK>
Subject: Re: recommendation documentary on a Sign Language/Deaf community

I would also very much recommend Frank's suggestion of Nicholas Philibert's film 'In the Land of the Deaf'. It's a wonderful piece of cinema which I use to teach both documentary practice and to raise discussion on various themes in linguistic anthropology with students from other academic areas.

You may also want to have a look at 'Touch the sound' by Thomas Riedelsheimer, (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424509/) while not directly engaging with sign language as much as Philibert's film, it is a great exploration of the world of deaf percussionist Evelyn Glennie and again provides plenty to discuss within themes of deaf communities and communication.

If you need short documentary films, i.e. 10-15min films let me know and I can pass on some more titles as there have been a few that have been made over the last while that could be useful.

Alastair

Quoting Jessica Taylor <jessica.taylor at UTORONTO.CA> on Thu, 30 Jan
2014 16:41:31 -0500:

> Does anyone know of a good documentary to show undergrads on a sign
> language and/or Deaf community/culture? It's for a 1st year seminar on
> Language and Diversity (where diversity could be multilingualism,
> gender, ethnicity, globalization, translation, etc.). Ideally it would
> be 30-60 minutes, but all recommendations welcome!
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jessica Taylor
>

> University of Toronto

Trans-Disciplinary Documentary Film
School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures.
The University of Edinburgh

UK +44(0)7740124773
Twitter: @TongueTiedFilms
www.tonguetiedfilms.co.uk