further clarification on the AAA 2014 Executive Sessions

Judy Pine Judy.Pine at WWU.EDU
Sun Feb 9 00:06:39 UTC 2014

Here is the skinny on those Executive Sessions:

The Executive Program Committee Sessions (we call them Executive Sessions) are the ones that come in to the EPC from the members, directly, for a status that's meant to say "these really connect with the theme and represent the breadth and depth of the Association."

So, if you are working on an Executive Session proposal, you will want to be sure that you are connecting with the theme for the meeting, which I reproduce here verbatim from the AAA website:

  Producing Anthropology, the 2014 annual meeting theme,  offers a provocation to examine the truths we encounter, produce and  communicate through anthropological theories and methods. As a discipline built  on blending archives of narratives, actions, sediment and bone, anthropology  has well-established methods for grappling with complex, multidimensional  artifacts. But what are our epistemological commitments to the ways we make  scientific knowledge today? What impact do our epistemic convictions and  predilections have, intended or not? What goals do we want to set for  ourselves? What partnerships should we build? What audiences should we seek?  And how will the truths we generate change as we contend with radical shifts in  scholarly publishing, employment opportunities, and labor conditions for  anthropologists, as well as the politics of circulating the anthropological  records we produce?

Judith M.S. Pine
Assistant Professor, Anthropology
Western Washington University
516 High St., MS 9083