query about ethnographer-informant relationships

galey modan gmodan at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 13 19:06:11 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm writing a paper on how use of social media (SMS/texting, email,
facebook, etc.) has affected relationships between ethnographers and
informants, particularly between visits to the fieldsite. I'm interested in
all kinds of perspectives, and particularly in  those of people who've been
working in the same fieldsite since before the internet era and have
noticed differences between the effects on relationships of former (e.g.
letter writing)  versus current forms of communication.  I'm interested in
hearing about any experiences or thoughts any of you might have. If you'd
be willing to talk or email with me about this, please drop me a line.

thanks a lot,

Galey Modan