(Ling) Ethnographies of work on airline crew?

Lucy Jones Lucy.Jones at NOTTINGHAM.AC.UK
Tue Jul 29 08:30:25 UTC 2014

You may also find the work of Barbara Clark useful - her PhD dissertation
involved linguistic ethnography with airline crew.

http://linguistics.sllf.qmul.ac.uk/people/barbara-clark

Best,

Lucy Jones
School of English
University of Nottingham

queerlinglang.wordpress.com

On 29/07/2014 04:57, "Bal Krishna Sharma" <bal.kri.sarma at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

>There is Kimie Takahashi and Ingrid Piller's work on Japanese airlines
>workers:
>http://www.academia.edu/attachments/32304199/download_file?st=MTQwNjYwNjE0
>NiwxODAuMjE2LjEyMS4yMyw0NDY2Ng%3D%3D&s=work_strip
>
>Best
>
>Bal Krishna
>U of Hawaii at Manoa
>

>On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 9:06 AM, E. Summerson Carr <esc at uchicago.edu>
>wrote:
>
>> Hi Nate:
>>
>> Of course, there is Arile Hochschild's classic study of flight
>>attendants
>> (alongside bill collectors).
>>
>> Though not primarily situated "in the pit" or "in the aisles," there is
>> also Charles (and Margorie) Goodwin's work on airplane work.
>>
>> http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/clic/cgoodwin/96trans_vis.pdf
>>
>> http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/clic/cgoodwin/96for_plane.pdf
>>
>> Also, you may well want to check out Chandra Bhimull's dissertation--and
>> any subsequent writings--on airline travel and empire:
>>

>>http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/57716/bhimullc_1.p
>>df?sequence=2
>>
>> Hope that helps a bit,
>>
>> Summerson
>>
>> E. Summerson Carr
>> Associate Professor
>> SSA, University of Chicago
>> 773-834-5877

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.