Resources on Contingent Faculty

Nathaniel Dumas nadumas at UCSC.EDU
Sat May 24 01:08:24 UTC 2014

Dear Colleagues,

I hope all is well. In the spirit of the recent AAA resolution on
contingent faculty issues, I wanted to pass on two relatively new resources
to those of you seeking to expand your knowledge on the contingent faculty
issue in higher education…

Kezar, Adrianna (ed.) 2012. Embracing Non-Tenure Track Faculty: Changing
Campuses for the New Faculty Majority. New York: Routledge.

Hoeller, Keith (ed.) 2014. Equality for Contingent Faculty: Overcoming the
Two-Tier System. Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press.

I will also be conducting another workshop this year on contingent faculty
issues at the Conference of Ford Fellows in September and would be happy to
share my materials upon request. It really is quite a complicated issue and
is often quite difficult to discern amidst blogs, anecdotes, brief
recurring articles in the Chronicle, and the newly-released congressional
reports. In this vein, I offer these resources to you all in the spirit of
generosity, especially since this is the market characterized by growing
numbers of contingent positions at a rate more rapid than tenure-track
positions without the widespread complementary changes in policy that
reflect this new trend.

Best,

Nate

--
Nathaniel Dumas
Research Associate, Department of Anthropology
nadumas at ucsc.edu