Resources on Contingent Faculty

William Leap wlm at AMERICAN.EDU
Mon May 26 20:37:17 UTC 2014

Laura (et al.) this is fabulous news.  There is also (we trust) the
following round table , to be sponsored by the Committee on Labor
Relations and AQA, , on this year's program.

Contingent faculty narratives from queer identified (a broad category,
that)  faculty graduate students,   students teaching and serving as
t.a.'s while enrolled in grad programs, motivate this session. Working in
solidarity to build larger strategies of support and intervention is of
course ideal.

Roundtable: Queerness as Vulnerability in Academe
Organizers:  Karen Brodkin (UCLA), Christa Craven (Wooster), Matt Korn
(Texas State) and William Leap (American)
 The 2013 AAA Resolution on Contingent and Part-Time Academic Labor calls
attention to the particular vulnerabilities facing LGBTQ graduate
teaching/research assistants, visiting faculty, term and temporary
faculty, and faculty seeking tenure in the current labor market.  While
explicit denials of opportunity on the basis of sexuality and/or gender
expression may be rare, there are academic venues that exclude research
interests in sexuality from domains of ?real? scholarship and use gender
conformity to justify hiring/ reappointment and other distributions of
resources.  We cannot resolve such conditions in this roundtable. But we
will engage a public discussion of these issues, framed against the Final
Report    of the AAA Commission on LGBTQ Issues in Anthropology (COLGIA
1999 ).  This roundtable session brings  queer faculty and graduate
students together with  labor activists familiar with on-campus
faculty/student   organizing, and other allies  to consider whether the
seemingly ?gay-friendly? popular climate extends to queer academics in
higher education. Opening remarks from several panelists will be followed
by  comments and discussion from the audience. Questions we will consider
include:    What are the particular vulnerabilities of LGBTQ grad students
and visiting or junior faculty?  How do LGBTQ-related vulnerabilities
intersect with vulnerabilities that have been widely documented concerning
race, class and gender (see Presumed Incompetent: The Intersections of
Race and Class for Women in Academia)?  Our goals are (1) to consider
queerness as a site of vulnerability in the anthropological labor market,
and, (2) to begin developing strategies that will mobilize AAA resources
on behalf of queer anthropologists in moments of vulnerability.

Wlm L. Leap
Professor, Department of Anthropology, American University, Washington DC
20016
Co-editor, Journal of Language and Sexuality
http://www.benjamins.com/#catalog/journals/jls

"It is not very hard to silence us, but that is not because we cannot
speak."    --  a Bengali villager once remarked to Nobel prize winning
economist  Amartya Sen  (The Argumentative Indian, Picador Books, 2005:
xiii)

"Don't be a drag, just be a queen."  Lady Gaga