[Linganth] SLA at the AAA only a month away

Paul Kroskrity paulvk at ucla.edu
Fri Nov 7 20:14:30 UTC 2014

Dear Society for Linguistic Anthropology Members,

Well, folks, its almost time for most of us to be making our annual pilgrimage to the AAA meetings. Deadlines are approaching—November 11 for Hotels, airlines, etc.  I wanted to take the opportunity to contact you to alert you to two things to take in consideration as you make plans for your brief but intense sojourn in DC.

The first item is the comparative lateness of the SLA Business meeting.  Because we needed to avoid conflicts with AAA and other Sectional events, we have been scheduled for a Business meeting that will begin Saturday, December 6, at 8:30PM to be followed by our catered cash bar at around 10:00P and running through about 11:30P.  As you probably already know, the preliminary program is available and provides us with information about the many events that will be happening.  I am attaching a pdf for the SLA events that are scheduled from Wednesday through Sunday, Dec. 3-7.

The second item is an invitation to you, and members of all AAA sections, from APLA, to attend the events listed below.
Dear Colleagues,

The Association for Political & Legal Anthropology (APLA) invites you
attend our special offsite event detailed below. *Kindly circulate to your
section and other colleagues who might be interested*.

Happy Hour Salon
"Producing Political and Legal Knowledge Through Cross-Disciplinary
Engagements”

*Association for Political and Legal Anthropology (APLA)*
<http://politicalandlegalanthro.org/>

Wednesday, December 3
6-8 pm
Busboys & Poets, 14th and V location, 2021 14th St NW
<http://www.busboysandpoets.com/about/14th-v>
Metro: U Street/African American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo station

Networking, drinks, appetizers, and an inter-disciplinary panel about how
anthropological knowledge is used and understood beyond the discipline,
especially in policy, law, and politics.
Panelists

Professor Clara Han
*Associate Professor of Anthropology *
*Johns Hopkins University*

Professor Susan F. Hirsch
*Professor of Conflict Resolution and Anthropology*
*George Mason University*

Professor Steven Livingston
*Professor of Media and Public Affairs and International Affairs*
*The George Washington University*

Dr. Helena Silverstein
Professor Jon B. Gould
*Program Officers, Law and Social Sciences*
*National Science Foundation*

*RSVP *jennifer.curtis at ed.ac.uk<mailto:jennifer.curtis at ed.ac.uk>

So that’s all for now, see you in DC!

All the best,

Paul

Paul V. Kroskrity
President, Society for Linguistic Anthropology
Professor of Anthropology
Chair, American Indian Studies
Department of Anthropology
341 Haines Hall  -   Box 951553