[Linganth] You're invited to the SLA Graduate Student Essay Panel- Saturday 12/6, 9am

Shalini Shankar sshankar at northwestern.edu
Wed Nov 12 14:48:32 UTC 2014

Dear SLA Membership:

Please be sure to mark your calendars to attend the SLA graduate student essay contest panel on Saturday DECEMBER 6TH, at 9am. The papers are excellent, to say nothing of the discussants, and our talented panelists would greatly appreciate an audience. We will honor them at the SLA business meeting that night, so come find out why they are winners.

SEMIOTICS, MEDIATION, AND COMMUNICATIVE ENCOUNTERS: THE SOCIETY FOR LINGUISTIC ANTHROPOLOGY GRADUATE STUDENT ESSAY CONTEST PANEL
 Saturday, December 6, 2014: 9:00 AM-10:45 AM
 9:00 AM Russian Presence in Georgian Film Dubbing: Scales of Inferiority<http://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper37935.html> Perry Maxfield Waldman Sherouse (Oberlin College)
 9:15 AM Copywork: The Reproduction of Linguistic Form As the Entextualization of Relations in Indian News Production<http://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper37936.html> Katherine B Martineau (University of Michigan)

9:30 AM Cosplay and Intertextual Play: Rethinking Fan Culture and Textuality<http://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper37938.html> Matthew L Hale (Indiana University)

9:45 AM The Difference Language Makes: The Life-History of Nahuatl in Two Mexican Families<http://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper37934.html> Magnus Pharao Hansen (Brown University)

10:00 AM “I Have to Read It out loud”: Creating the State in Prison Discipline<http://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper37937.html> Lori Labotka (Indiana University of Pennsylvania)

10:15 AM Discussant<http://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper37933.html> Paul Manning (Trent University)

10:30 AM Discussant<http://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper37932.html> Richard Bauman (Indiana Univ)

All best,
Shalini

—
Shalini Shankar
Associate Professor
Interim Director of Graduate Studies, Anthropology
Director, Asian American Studies Program
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL
847-467-1638