[Linganth] SLA Program at the AAA meetings--second try-beware of possible reformatting

Stephanie Feyne stefeyne at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 20:11:02 UTC 2014

In addition, the medical anthropology section will have 2 sessions on
intercultural discourse (interpretation) in medical settings.
Interestingly, the sessions were scheduled in reverse order.

5-1025 PRODUCING INTERCULTURAL DISCOURSE IN THE CLINICAL ENCOUNTER PART 2

*Reviewed By: *Society for Medical Anthropology
Saturday, December 6, 2014: 2:30 PM-4:15 PM
5-1280 PRODUCING INTERCULTURAL DISCOURSE IN THE CLINICAL ENCOUNTER PART 1

*Reviewed By: *Society for Medical Anthropology
Saturday, December 6, 2014: 6:30 PM-8:15 PM
Organizers:  Michael Nathan (Harvard Medical School) and Lissie
Wahl-Kleiser (Department of Global Health and Social Medicine, Harvard
Medical School)
Chairs:  Seth Donal Hannah (Harvard University)
Part 2 -
2:30 PM
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper40318.html>
Face to Face:  Lessons Learned As an Interpreter at a Free Health Clinic
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper40318.html>
Margaret L Buckner (Missouri State University)
2:45 PM
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43048.html>
Multiple Involvements in the Doctor's Office: The Dynamics of
Interpreter-Mediated Medical Interactions
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43048.html>
Abdesalam Soudi (University of Pittsburgh) and Jeannette South-Paul
(University of Pittsburg)
3:00 PM
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper42151.html>
Interpreted Identity: Variations on Perceptions of Identity Based on
Interpreter-Mediated Encounters
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper42151.html>
Stephanie Feyne (
3:15 PM
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43058.html>
Culture in the Interactional Details of Interpreted Clinical Encounters: A
Misunderstanding
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43058.html>
Robert Schrauf (Pennsylvania State University) and Priscilla Ortiz
(Pennsylvania State University)
3:30 PM
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper40975.html>
Translating Cultural Difference: The Dilemmas of Multicultural Mental
Health Care in Israel
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper40975.html>
Ekaterina Anderson (Boston University)
3:45 PM
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43387.html>
Risk Communication in Mono- and Multilingual Briefings for Informed Consent
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43387.html>
Bernd Meyer (Mainz University)
4:00 PM
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43070.html>
The Emergence of an Ethical Habitus Among Volunteer Health Care
Interpreters: Negotiating Moral Responsibilities through Trus
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43070.html>
Maria Aguilar-Solano (University of Massachusetts Boston)

Part 1

Organizers:  Seth Donal Hannah (Harvard University) and Lissie Wahl-Kleiser
(Department of Global Health and Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School)
Chairs:  Michael Nathan (Harvard Medical School)
6:30 PM
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43003.html>
Organizational Structure, Local Ideology, and Diverse Approaches to Medical
Interpreting <https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43003.html>
Seth Donal Hannah (Harvard University)
6:45 PM
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper42036.html>
Health Care Institutions: The Invisible Fourth in Interpreted Encounters
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper42036.html>
Sylvie Schuster ()
7:00 PM
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43225.html>
Circulating Intercultural Meanings Produced in Clinical Encounters with
Medical Interpreters:  Views from Providers in a Northeastern Healthcare
Clinic <https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43225.html>
Lissie Wahl-Kleiser (Department of Global Health and Social Medicine,
Harvard Medical School)
7:15 PM
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43007.html>
Producing Social Geography in Interpreter Mediated Medical Encounters
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43007.html>
Michael Nathan (Harvard Medical School)
7:30 PM
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper42965.html>
A Comparative Perspective on Language Issues in Multiethnic Canadian
Settings from 1st to 3rd Line Health Care
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper42965.html>
Sylvie Fortin (Université de Montréal)
7:45 PM
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43011.html>
Interpreting Practices for Refugee and Immigrant Patients in a US Hospital
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43011.html>
Susan Bell (Bowdoin College)
8:00 PM
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2014/webprogram/Paper43012.html>