Extended Call for papers: The Sociolinguistics of Globalization Conference, 3-6 June 2015, Hong Kong

Katherine Chen khychen at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 1 07:39:28 UTC 2014

Due to numerous requests, the deadline for submission of abstracts has been extended to October 20 2014.

CALL FOR PAPERS

The Sociolinguistics of Globalization:
(De)centring and (de)standardization

The University of Hong Kong, 3-6 June 2015

Against the backdrop of one of the most diverse and international cities in the world, we invite language and communication scholars to take part in an on-going debate of sociolinguistic change under globalization. We are asking two fundamental and interrelated questions: How are we to continue theorizing language and communication under globalization? How can sociolinguistic theory shed new light on our understanding of globalization?

The topics of the papers, special interest panels and plenary lectures include, but are not limited to, the following key themes:

•	communities, networks, groups and individuals
•	organizations, institutions, collectives
•	time and place
•	hubs, margins and peripheries
•	nodes and trajectories
•	work and leisure
•	war and peace
•	heart and mind
•	love and hate
•	thinking beyond the binaries
•	the commodification of social life
•	crisis? what crisis?
•	occupy and activism
•	resources
•	superdiversity, class, privilege
•	creativity, reproduction, appropriation
•	legitimacy, censorship, contestation and (self-) reflexivity
•	mobilities, cultures of (im)mobility and displacement
•	singularity and normativity
•	mediations and mediatizations
•	embodied and multisensory communication
•	affect, pleasure, sensuality
•	technologies, environments, futures
•	art and performance
•	rituals and spectacles

Plenary Speakers

NIKOLAS COUPLAND
University of Technology, Sydney and Copenhagen University

CHRISTOPHER HUTTON
University of Hong Kong

MICHELLE LAZAR
National University of Singapore

CHRISTOPHER STROUD
University of the Western Cape

KATHRYN WOOLARD
University of California, San Diego

Invited Panels
The following invited panels have been confirmed to date (all titles are provisional):

Dialects and Globalization
Organizers: Peter Auer and Barbara Johnstone
University of Freiburg and Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh

Online News
Organizers: Allan Bell, Alwin Aguirre and Philippa Smith
Auckland University of Technology and University of Hong Kong

Complex Sociolinguistics
Organizer: Jan Blommaert
Tilburg University

Language Change in London and Paris
Organizers: Penelope Gardner-Chloros, Jenny Cheshire and Maria Secova
Birkbeck University of London, Queen Mary University of London and Birkbeck University of London

The Local and/or The Global: The Discursive Construction of Imaginaries
Organizers: Michał Krzyżanowski and David Machin
Örebro University

Crisis? What Crisis?
Organizers: Nuria Lorenzo-Dus and Philippa Smith
Swansea University and Auckland University of Technology

Illusions and Delusions of the Centre
Organizer: Tope Omoniyi
University of Roehampton London

Mainstreaming Periphery in Sociolinguistics
Organizers: Sari Pietikäinen and Helen Kelly-Holmes
University of Jyväskylä and University of Limerick

Language at work
Organizer: Crispin Thurlow
University of Bern

Invited Round Table on ‘Englishes in Asia’
Conveners: Katherine Chen and Lisa Lim
University of Hong Kong

We invite abstract submissions for the following types of contributions:
INDIVIDUAL PAPERS: 25 minutes (with 20 minutes for presentation and 5 minutes for comments and questions).

PANELS: to consist of 4–8 individual papers.

Proposals for panels should include (i) one abstract outlining the theme and rationale of the panel and (ii) individual abstracts for all papers to be presented in the panel.

Abstracts for panels and individual papers should be not more than 300 words, including references. Please also list up to 5 keywords.

Panel organizers are welcome to post a call for abstracts on the conference website by sending the title and a brief description of the panel to the conference organizers at <slxg2015 at hku.hk>.

Submission of abstracts
All submissions have to be made via our online submission tool. The link for online submission of abstracts will be available from 1 July 2014 on the conference website: http://www.english.hku.hk/events/slxg2015

Evaluation of proposals
Abstracts and proposals for individual papers and thematic panels will be evaluated by the Conference Scientific Committee and the Organizing Committee in terms of their quality of content, significance, and thematic relevance.

Conference presentation policy
Individuals may submit only one abstract as the sole/first author of a paper. In addition, an individual may have a role as a panel organizer, discussant, or co-author/co-presenter of other papers with another presenter as the first-named author.

All attending/presenting authors of papers in parallel or panel sessions, panel organizers, and attending participants must register for the conference.

Timescale
Submission of abstracts opens: 1 July 2014
Submission of abstracts closes: 20 October 2014 (extended)
Notification of acceptance: January 2015
Registration opens: January 2015
Conference takes place: 3–6 June 2015

Organizing Committee
The Conference is organized by The School of English, The University of Hong Kong <www.english.hku.hk>

Katherine Chen
Adam Jaworski (Chair)
Lisa Lim
Adrian Pablé

‘The Sociolinguistics of Globalization 2015’
School of English
The University of Hong Kong
Pokfulam Road
Hong Kong