[Linganth] Call for Papers on Linguistic Relativity

O Neill, Sean P. seanoneill at ou.edu
Tue Apr 7 20:29:37 UTC 2015

Dear Colleagues:

Please let me know if you are interested in contributing a paper to an upcoming AAA panel (2015, Colorado) on linguistic relativity, as described below. There are still a few slots available, with a possible conference in the works in the near future. Currently, we have papers on (1) time and reference in Chol Maya; (2) conceptual structure in Mandarin discourse; (3) the role of emotional attachment and indigenous worldviews in language revitalization; (4) Whorfian perspectives on racism in everyday language, with consequences for routine perception and action. We would welcome further submissions. The panel will be co-chaired by Michael Silverstein, with Jocelyn Ahlers as a discussant.

Best wishes,
Sean O'Neill
Sean.P.O-Neill-1 at ou.edu <mailto:Sean.P.O-Neill-1 at ou.edu>

---------------------------------

Linguistic Relativities in the Twenty-first Century: Deconstructing the "Strangeness" and "Familiarity" in the world's symbolic realities

The hallowed principle of linguistic relativity has been with anthropology from the start, representing one of the signature theoretical axioms of the field—one that links everyday speech practices to the social construction of larger cultural realities.

Despite great advances in other disciplines, such as cognitive science, many linguistic anthropologists now shy away from the supposed controversy surrounding the topic—perhaps in part due to the powerful rhetorical effect of several popular works by mainstream linguists, whose "mere" words have changed public perception, in a profoundly Whorfian fashion.

The purpose of this panel is to show that much of our work continues to resonate with the principle of linguistic relativity in the deepest sense, given our sustained professional interest in how language shapes perception and action in everyday social encounters.

If you are interested contributing to this panel, here are a few potential topics that could be meaningfully addressed at present:

•      Language Ideologies and the Framing of Speech Communities

•      Racism (or Discrimination) in Everyday language

•      Poetics and the Social Imagination

•      Metaphor and Framing

•      Rhetorical Constructions, Perception, and Social Action

•      Discourse Analysis and Conversation Analysis

•      Linguistic Relativity as Analogous to Musical Relativity

•      Ethno-syntax and the Many Permutations of Worldview

•      Multilingualism, Language Contact, the Negotiation of Worldviews

•      The Spontaneous Emergence of Worldview during Interaction

•      Language Revitalization and the Renewal of Indigenous Worldviews

All languages and theoretical frameworks are welcome.