[Linganth] MAGic2015 conference in UK

Charles L. Briggs clbriggs at berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 13 00:18:01 UTC 2015

 <linganth at listserv.linguistlist.org>

Dear fellow linguistic anthropologists:

Charles Briggs (UC Berkeley, clbriggs at berkeley.edu) and Paja Faudree
(Brown, Paja_Faudree at brown.edu) teamed up with David Parkin (Oxford and
SOAS, david.parkin at anthro.ox.ac.uk) in proposing a series of panels on
"Communicating
Bodies: New Juxtapositions of Linguistic and Medical Anthropology" for a
conference sponsored by the European Association of Social Anthropologists
that will be held at the University of Sussex on 9-11 September 2015. The
meeting is MAGic2015, "Anthropology and Global Health: Interrogating
Theory, Policy and Practice." Our goal is to extend the very fruitful
discussions between linguistic and medical anthropologists that emerged in
the panel and roundtable we organized for the 2014 AAA meeting across the
Atlantic.

 We are pleased to report that the organizers approved our panel proposal,
which means that an open call for paper proposals is now available at
http://nomadit.co.uk/easa/magic2015/panels.php5?PanelID=3649. We would thus
like to encourage you to use the web page to submit a paper proposal. Two
important notes: First, you are welcome to send us a copy of what you are
proposing, but we cannot submit it on your behalf. Second,* the deadline is
27 April*. A full contingent of fascinating scholars from the UK and the
continent are submitting abstracts, so we think that the dialogue across
subfields and between global anthropologies should be fascinating.

The proposal on the website was not mean to constrain the sorts of papers
that may be presented but only to secure a spot on the program. So please
feel free to craft whatever way you wish to bring together attention to
language (broadly conceived, and other semiotic systems) and health, which
will hopefully include both more broad, analytic, programmatic papers and
those centering on a particular research focus.

Please direct any questions or comments to the three co-conveners.

With best wishes

Charles (Briggs) and Paja (Faudree)