[Linganth] twitter piece for undergrads?

Deborah Jones jdeborah at umich.edu
Wed Apr 29 13:47:24 UTC 2015

Good morning,

I unfortunately don't have an academic article to recommend, but a few
years ago one of my students turned my attention to "subtweeting" and I've
since found #subtweet useful for teaching about implicature.  (
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/blog/2014/jul/23/subtweeting-what-is-it-and-how-to-do-it-well)
 It provides a good, familiar set of data off of which students can bounce
Grice's maxims, and helps them understand that Grice is not advocating a
certain kind of etiquette, but giving us a tool through which (at least
among certain speakers of English) we can identify implicature.  Perhaps
you're not teaching about Grice at this juncture, but if you're looking for
an example of how Twitter can be used non-referentially, I've used this
exercise pretty successfully.

Hope this helps!

-- Deborah --

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 12:38 AM, Browne,Kate <Kate.Browne at colostate.edu>
wrote:

>  Greetings all,
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion for a good, clear piece of work on twitter
> or social media of the kind that David Crystal wrote on texting in 2008?
> I'd like to locate something more current along that line.
>
>  One piece is the 2015 AE article: #Ferguson: Digital protest, hashtag
> ethnography, and the racial politics of social media in the US. However,
> the class has already spent a good deal of time discussing language and
> race, so I am hoping to find another option.
>
>  Thanks for any suggestions!
>
>  Kate Browne
>
>  *******************************************************
>
> Katherine E. Browne