[Linganth] It turns out that Jane Hill is white(!)

Kerim Friedman oxusnet at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 00:42:28 UTC 2015

About the same time that this story appeared on FOX, AnthroNews published
this piece:

http://www.anthropology-news.org/index.php/2015/01/21/ferguson-and-the-decline-in-anthropology/

(It now comes with an "editor's note.") At the time I quipped about the FOX
news story that it was "the kind of thing one might see in AnthroNews."

On Savage Minds Alex Golub responded to the AN piece with this essay:

http://savageminds.org/2015/01/27/16115/

Cheers,

Kerim

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 3:24 AM, Stephanie Feyne <stefeyne at gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems this discussion is not only one of media tactics but also one of
> addressee ideology (with the media creating or supporting it).
> And the predisposition to believe what is being touted on air.
>
> The article below addresses how one's beliefs cement ideas regardless of
> efforts to dispel fictions that agree with those beliefs.
>

> http://www.newyorker.com/science/maria-konnikova/i-dont-want-to-be-right
>
> So our discussion of how academics can respond to Fox and its ilk is also
> a question not just of discussing facts, but recognizing the audience's
> ideologies that are being supported in the story and finding ways to appeal
> to core beliefs and reframe them in the discussion.
>
> Not that I know how to do it ... That's a lot of work :)
>
> Thanks,
> Stephanie Feyne
> NYC
>
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 11:30 AM, Bruce Mannheim <mannheim at umich.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Bonnie is absolutely correct here.  I sent the link around to colleagues
>> here who teach Jane's book and articles to use in classes.   The change of
>> prepositions from the book title to what is described in the clip is not a
>> matter of sloppiness, but is what Bonnie says that it is: "deployed
>> entirely in service to creating sharp political lines and cementing their
>> demographic."
>>
>> Lies, damn lies, and changing prepositions.
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Bonnie Urciuoli <burciuol at hamilton.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Well put.  It's the same dynamic as what happens every time any
>>> politician with an even remotely progressive message tries to explain it to
>>> the general public.  The problem is, we as academics value accurate
>>> explanation.  But the likes of Fox or of shall we say certain political
>>> operatives are not remotely invested in any notion of accurate explanation
>>> -- for them reference is deployed entirely in service to creating sharp
>>> political lines and cementing their demographic.  I do not know how to
>>> fight any of that directly.

>> --
>> Bruce Mannheim,
>> Professor of Anthropology
>> University of Michigan
>> 1085 S. University Ave.
>> Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1107
>>
>> tel. +734.276.1627
>> telf: +51-992.97.64.97
>>
>> Kunturmanta chaskisunki

*P. Kerim Friedman 傅可恩 <http://kerim.oxus.net/>*

Associate Professor
The Department of Ethnic Relations and Cultures
College of Indigenous Studies
National DongHwa University, TAIWAN
副教授國立東華大學族群關係與文化學系