[Linganth] It turns out that Jane Hill is white(!)

Peterson, Mark petersm2 at miamioh.edu
Fri Feb 6 19:41:49 UTC 2015

That's true Frank, but it is also strategic. Critical theory often tries to
differentiate its language from everyday terms because those terms are
weighted by their associations with positions the scholars are trying to
critique. This kind of alienating vocabulary is common in any science where
specialized vocabularies emerge. But when media coverage of physics or
chemistry occurs, the media producers generally seek to translate the
concepts for their audiences. Here, they were deliberately making use of
Malinowski's "coefficient of weirdness" to make the discourse alienating.

Mark Allen Peterson
Professor and Chair, Department of Anthropology
& Professor, International Studies Program
120 Upham Hall
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056
513 529-5018