[Linganth] Panel Submission

Steve Bialostok stevebialostok at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 17:36:57 UTC 2015

I am considering submitting a panel (probably Council for Anthropology and Education) titled something like, The Political Economy of Classroom Talk). Admittedly, the theme would follow my own line of research that examines how discourses of neoliberalism get recontextualized into classroom talk. AAA's theme of "familiar/strange" themes resonates in that - at least in my publications - the really interesting classroom talk to examine isn't the obviously oppressive, micromanaged teacher-directed lesson but instead classroom talk that reflects progressive pedagogy. There's a lot of Foucault's governmentality in my thinking about this panel - active, self-regulated learners, etc. - but there are certainly other ways to theorize this.
Anyway, I don't want to write a panel abstract until I get a sense of potential interest.
Thanks,Steveps I'm dropping yahoo so could interested people email me at work: smb at uwyo.edu