[Linganth] gender, twitter, and hashtags

Rebecca Pardo rpardo at sas.upenn.edu
Sat Feb 14 16:36:28 UTC 2015

Hi Liz,

Your student should check out:

Portwood-Stacer and Berridge (2014) Feminist Hashtags and Media Convergence.
<http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14680777.2015.987422#abstract>
Feminist Media Studies

Stache (2014)  Advocacy and Political Potential at The Convergence of
Hashtag Activism and Commerce.
<http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14680777.2015.987429#abstract>
Feminist Media Studies

Huntemann (2014) No More Excuses: Using Twitter to Challenge The Symbolic
Annihilation of Women in Games
<http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14680777.2015.987432#abstract>.
Feminist Media Studies.

Guha (2014) Hash Tagging But Not Trending: The Success and Failure of The
News Media to Engage with Online Feminist Activism in India
<http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14680777.2015.987424#abstract>.
Feminist Media Studies

Eckert, S., & Steiner, L. (2013). "(Re)triggering backlash: Responses to
news of Wikipedia's gender gap", Journal of Communication Inquiry 37(4),
284-303

Eckert, S., & Steiner, L. (2013). "Wikipedia's Gender Gap". In Armstrong,
C. (Ed.), Media Disparity: A Gender Battleground. (pp. 87-98)

the Queer Feminist Media Praxis
<http://adanewmedia.org/issues/issue-archives/issue5/> issue of Ada -
journal of gender, new media, and tech

Jenny Sundén & Malin Sveningsson Gender and Sexuality in Online Game
Cultures: Passionate Play
<https://books.google.ca/books?id=4gtsngEACAAJ&dq=Gender+and+Sexuality+in+Online+Game+Cultures:+Passionate+Play&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MXTfVNquGJKcyAS8sYHAAg&redir_esc=y>

Knut H. Sørensen, Wendy Faulkner and Els Rommes 'Technologies of Inclusion:
Gender in the Information Society
<https://books.google.ca/books?id=BV7qugAACAAJ&dq=Technologies+of+Inclusion:+Gender+in+the+Information+Society&hl=en&sa=X&ei=fnTfVLyfAo-SyQTwnoLIDw&redir_esc=y>
'

Irving, C. J., & English, L. M. (2010). Community in Cyberspace:
Gender,Social Movement Learning, and the Internet.
<http://aeq.sagepub.com/content/early/2010/08/31/0741713610380448.abstract>
Adult Education Quarterly, 61(3), 262-278

Mclean and Maalsen (2003) Destroying the Joint and Dying of Shame? A
Geography of Revitalised Feminism in Social Media and Beyond
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1745-5871.12023/abstract>.
Geographical Research.

Also:

the 2014 Pew report on online harassment
<http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/22/online-harassment/>

this short piece <http://www.icahdq.org/membersnewsletter/NOV14_ART0009.asp>
from ICA newsletter on how scholars studying gamergate have been affected

this conference <http://www.sahj.ca/> on gender and games

"Take Back the Tech" [https://www.takebackthetech.net].

Best,

Rebecca