[Linganth] Call for Papers: Violent Talk and the Negotiation of Social Experience

Elise Berman eberman at uncc.edu
Sun Jan 11 23:47:18 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Please see the panel abstract below. We are searching for two or three more
papers for the Society for Psychological Anthropology meetings in Boston in
April (see the website) http://www.aaanet.org/sections/spa/?page_id=1338.
As the panel is about talk, people on this list may be interested.

Please let me or Christine know as soon as possible if you are interested.
We would like to receive abstracts by Sunday January 18th.

--

*We’ve purposely left this abstract a bit vague, in order to see what kinds
of papers others may be interested in presenting, at which point we will

*SPA Panel Abstract: *Violent Talk and the Negotiation of Social Experience

In anthropology, talk about violence is often taken at face value, as
reflecting traumatic violent experience and suffering.  In such accounts,
discourse about violence is taken as essentially referential, as describing
past experiences. But people may talk about violence for many different
reasons—to joke, transform relationships, and express complex sentiments.
Such discourse, moreover, may or may not reflect actual violent
experiences. For example, in both Morocco and the Marshall Islands,
children and adults talk a lot about the graphic violence they have
witnessed, perpetrated, or been subjected to, and yet this talk often does
not seem to correspond to actual behavior.  In Morocco, there is also a lot
of humor and joking infused into these accounts, and quick transitions
between playful and angry affect, which complicates these less than
straightforward accounts.  In the Marshall Islands, children use physical
imagery to organize power hierarchies and engage in imaginative play.

This panel explores how talk about violence structures relationships and
experience in unexpected ways.  We welcome papers that consider violent
discourse using semiotic, psychoanalytic, and other theoretical approaches.

Please submit an abstract to Elise Berman eberman at uncc.edu and Christine El
Ouardani Christine.ElOuardani at csulb.edu by Sunday January 18th.

--
Elise Berman, Ph.D. | Assistant Professor of Anthropology
UNC Charlotte | 249 Barnard