[Linganth] Feedback would be greatly appreciated for Crank Up the Phonograph, a book I recently put online.

ERIC BYRON bear128 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 27 21:55:40 UTC 2015

I recently finished a book that I put online.   I call it Crank Up the Phonograph:  Who We Are and Where We Came From in Early Sound Recordings.  You can access at http://www.crankupthephonograph.com/ and there is no charge.  Using early commercial sound recordings as a base for study, the book attempts to understand how people from the 1890s to the early 1930s and the late 1940s to the early 1960s viewed themselves, others, and the general world they encountered. The five chapters focus on the following:
1. Sale patterns of early recordings primarily on Manhattan's Lower East Side and Little Italy2. The utilizations of stereotypical language to define ethnic, racial and "rube" boundaries 3. English acquisition among immigrants (This section is built on a database that suggests which English words entered the immigrant languages and when they entered.  To a certain extent it addresses why.)4. The packaging of ethnic, racial and "rube" groups with new technologies such as telephones and automobiles5. The ramifications of a diminished trait list among immigrant groups  that have been in the country for a long time
I realize that the book is not a definitive study, but rather a series of suggestions.  Comments would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Eric Byron