[Linganth] It turns out that Jane Hill is white(!)

Peterson, Mark petersm2 at miamioh.edu
Fri Jan 30 17:01:41 UTC 2015

Speaking as a former journalist, and someone who teaches about journalism
as a cultural practice, I'd say our classrooms are the only places we can
make a difference, really.

What we think of as "objective" journalism evolved in a particular
historical and economic context. Before that, it was not at all uncommon to
have the Republican and Democratic newspapers in the same city, each
sniping at different targets the other supported. Most of the economic,
social and political contexts that supported the kinds of journalism we
would like to see no longer exist and I expect to see a continual emergence
of more and more news outlets that frame most news, and frame what counts
as news, according to ideological frameworks on-line and in broadcast
media, like Fox and MSNBC.

Best,

Mark

Mark Allen Peterson
Professor and Chair, Department of Anthropology
& Professor, International Studies Program
120 Upham Hall
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056
513 529-5018