[Linganth] Using library repositories as archives for linguistic data

Jenny L Davis jennifer.davis at Colorado.EDU
Thu Jun 11 17:04:12 UTC 2015

The main issues I've encountered when working with archives of
anthropological work are the difficulties that arise because most of the
materials collected don't include specific permissions for archival use and
sharing. Without permission from each individual
speaker/consultant/interviewee as to whether the general public, specific
groups, and even family members can access the materials, libraries and
archives have their hands tied when it comes to making those materials
available.
     Also, e-meld's "best practices" to digitizing and archiving endangered
language data may be relevant for other types of research data (especially
the parts about metadata, organizing, and labeling to match specific
archives).

Jenny L. Davis
Assistant Professor
American Indian Studies & Anthropology