[Linganth] AAA and/or ASA Call for Panel "Examining Hospitality in Politics and Religion"

Emily Riley emilyon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 16:19:28 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I am looking to form a panel for both the AAA and ASA annual meetings
regarding the topic of hospitality as a concept and performance important
to particularly political and religious practices.  The panel would serve
as an examination of how hospitality can be theorized within questions of
gender, nationhood, and new ideas on exchange and value.  My research
focuses on an ethnography of the Wolof concept of *teranga, *a nuanced
translation of hospitality, and how it is embedded in political, social,
and religious practices in Senegal.  Engaging with definitions and
ethnographic snapshots of hospitality in its many forms, can create
fruitful discussions on changing social landscapes, identity, and alterity,
among others.  I am certainly open to many suggestions on similar and yet
coherent topics/papers.

Many thanks,
Emily Riley

--