[Linganth] Panel on Language, Labor and Political Economy (The 114th American Anthropological Association Annual Meeting, Denver, November 18-22, 2015)

Alfonso Del Percio alfonso.delpercio at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 22:23:54 UTC 2015

Dear all
Kamilla Kraft (University of Oslo, Norway) and I (University of Oslo, Norway) are writing to invite you to participate in a panel on Language, Labor and Political Economy that we are organizing for the upcoming AAA 2015 (the 114th American Anthropological Association Annual Meeting, Denver, November 18-22, 2015).
This panel will focus on the role of language and communication in the structuration of labor under current capitalist conditions, as well as in the regulation of workers' conditions of access to the production of resources and to forms of symbolic and material capital. We also seek to examine the forms of expertise – i.e. authoritative knowledge (on language, the labor force, the productive processes, and current economic conditions) – that are mobilized to rationalize and authorize this capitalist investment in language.
Our aim is to bring together scholars who work on different sectors of the late capitalist economy in order to produce a complex understanding of the way language becomes instrumental for the structuration of workspaces. We also aim to understand how language is invested as a means to make and legitimize difference between workers.
As we would like to move ahead with planning, we would ask that you let us know in the next few days if you might be interested in contributing to this panel.
Alfonso Del Percio (alfonso.delpercio at gmail.com) and Kamilla Kraft (kamilla.kraft at iln.uio.no)