[Linganth] AAA panel on constrained agency – call for submissions

Chris VanderStouwe cvanderstouwe at umail.ucsb.edu
Mon Mar 9 18:42:13 UTC 2015

Hello everyone!

Shawn Warner-Garcia and I are organizing a panel for the 2015 AAA
Conference in Denver on constrained agency. Lal Zimman has agreed to be
our discussant, and we are looking for additional participants. Please
read on for more information about the panel:

Research abounds on the concept of agency in linguistic anthropology
(cf. Ahearn 1999, 2001; Duranti 2004), with particularly fruitful veins
of scholarship on language and gender (e.g. Bergvall et al 1996; Hall
and Bucholtz 2012), language socialization (e.g. Ochs 1988; Schieffelin
1990), and dialogicality (e.g. Hill and Irvine 1993; Tedlock and
Mannheim 1995). Embedded in many of these works are questions and
discussions about the location and limitations of agency. However, while
the topic of constrained agency has been featured in works on social
geography (e.g. Coe and Jordhus-Lier 2010), health care (e.g.Rodney and
Varcoe 2011),feminist theory (e.g. Beste 2007), and applied linguistics
(e.g. Lamb 2013), an extensive consideration of sociocultural
constraints on agency has not been produced within linguistic
anthropology. Building on Ahearn’s (2001) definition of agency, we
invite panel submissions that linguistically explore the socioculturally
mediating forces that constrain the capacity to act. With an
intentionally broad scope, we aim to provide a wide array of
presentations to discuss this topic and welcome any relevant research
topic grounded primarily in language.

Interested panelists should send an off-list message to either Chris
VanderStouwe (cvanderstouwe at umail.ucsb.edu
<mailto:cvanderstouwe at umail.ucsb.edu>) or Shawn Warner-Garcia
(warnergarcia at umail.ucsb.edu <mailto:warnergarcia at umail.ucsb.edu>) with
name, affiliation, and planned topic as soon as possible. Once panelists
are chosen, we request panel abstracts be submitted to the organizers no
later than April 8, 2015, for review and to ensure timely submission to
the Annual Meeting system by the April 15 deadline.

Thank you for your consideration. See you in Denver!

--
Chris VanderStouwe, C.Phil
Doctoral Candidate, Department of Linguistics

Teaching Assistant, Department of Linguistics
University of California, Los Angeles