[Linganth] would like one more presenter for an AAA panel

Ilana Gershon igershon at indiana.edu
Tue Mar 17 20:39:19 UTC 2015

I have space for one more presenter on an AAA panel about how neoliberal
instructions can go awry.

Please let me know if you would be interested in participating on a
panel with this description:

Instruction and Improvisation under Neoliberalism:

When Telling Others How to be Neoliberal Goes Awry

Neoliberal logics, like all logics, encounter problems when
implemented.To analyze these
  moments, this panel takes instances of instruction as particularly
illuminating moments in which
  vivid conversations emerge about how difficult it is to put neoliberal
models into practice.Everyday
  social life is filled with conversations in which one person or a
small group attempts to instruct
  others about how the world should be.These panelists turn to the
moments in which people are
  told that they should consume, labor, organize, and innovate according
to neoliberal precepts.
In response, people express their reservations or reveal through their
actions the failures in these models.
By focusing on moments of telling, we are able to make visible both
social actors’ local analysis of
  neoliberal social models for action, and the challenges of
implementing these models.We compare
  advice with implementation and rules with improvised practice, using
this ethnographic lens on
  telling to see the fissures in neoliberal logics.

Best,
Ilana

--
Ilana Gershon