[Linganth] Software that Transcribes

Piers Kelly Piers.Kelly at anu.edu.au
Mon May 11 01:09:03 UTC 2015

Hi Marcia,
The ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language (
www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au) is trying to develop software to speed up
the linguistic transcription of audio (generally of endangered languages).
This is quite a challenge, but if you're interested in tracking
developments, sign up for the newsletter at the bottom of the homepage.

You could also consider getting in touch with Appen, an industry partner to
the Centre of Excellence:
http://www.appen.com/solutions/language-technology/speech-recognition-trainingdata/

Cheers,
Piers

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Kerim Friedman <oxusnet at gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems that the NSA has such software!
>

> https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/05/05/nsa-speech-recognition-snowden-searchable-text/
>
> "Top-secret documents from the archive of former NSA contractor Edward
> Snowden show the National Security Agency can now automatically
> recognize the content within phone calls by creating rough transcripts
> and phonetic representations that can be easily searched and stored.
>
> The documents show NSA analysts celebrating the development of what
> they called “Google for Voice” nearly a decade ago."
>
> A version of this is available commercially, but I get the sense that
> it is priced for larger multinational corporations...
>
> http://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/products/bms/
>
> Kerim
>
> On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 4:58 AM, Marcia Farr <farrmarcia at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am interested to know if any software out there can transcribe audio
> > recordings. I've thought of Dragon Naturally Speaking (although that's
> > primarily for dictation), but don't know if this is the best choice or
> even
> > if it works in this respect.
> >
> > Having a person transcribe digital sound files in English pr Spanish or
> > Code-Switching is extraordinarily expensive and/or time-consuming. Is
> there
> > any software that can help in this process?
> >
> > I apologize if this has been asked before. If so, I can't remember what
> we
> > came up with! I would be happy to post a summary to the list.
> >
> > --
> > Marcia Elizabeth Farr
> > Professor Emerita
> > The Ohio State University
> >
> > Email: farr.18 at osu.edu
> >
> > http://osu.academia.edu/MarciaFarr

> --
>
> P. Kerim Friedman 傅可恩
>
> Associate Professor
> The Department of Ethnic Relations and Cultures
> College of Indigenous Studies
> National DongHwa University, TAIWAN
> 副教授國立東華大學族群關係與文化學系

Dr Piers Kelly
Communications and Outreach Coordinator
 The ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language
dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/CoEDL?ref=aymt_homepage_panel> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/coedlang> | Flickr
<https://www.flickr.com/groups/2739714@N24/>
*The University of Western Sydney | **The University of Queensland **| The
University of Melbourne | The Australian National University*
T: +61 2 6125 6122 M: 0422 980 680

 [image: Description: u3227473:Logo Design:The Dynamics of Language Logo
files:EPS:The Dynamics of Language Logo.eps]