[Linganth] CFP: Porno Metaphors and Metaphors of Porn

Brian Adams-Thies brianat73 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 22:16:19 UTC 2015

Organizer:      Brian Adams-Thies, PhD

Panel:             Porno-Metaphor and Metaphors of Porn

Conference:    Lavender Languages 2016 (February 12-14)

Location:         American University – Washington DC

For many years, conservative and anti-porn feminist cultural pundits have
railed against their perception of the pornographic colonizations of
everyday life.   As opposed to arguing whether or not these concerns are
true, this panel will address the dynamism with which people make use of
porn and porn makes use of people.   Porn has certainly had effects upon
the ways that we speak.  For example, what does it mean to have sex ‘like a
porn star’?   On the other hand, our changing life worlds also affect what
is representable in porn.   For example, why does gay male porn use
affective relationships such as daddy/son; priest/supplicant; fraternity
initiates/brothers and what metaphoric meaning might be communicated or
received by a specific audience?

 Essentially, this panel would like to explore the ways that porn becomes
another means for the production of metaphor and/or how pornography exists
as or creates metaphor.   The overarching questions to be addressed by this
panel might include:  In what ways do people use the pornographic as a
means to create new meanings, new languages, new metaphors?   In what ways
does porn use people and changes in contemporary life worlds to create new
meanings and metaphoric representation?    If we are, in fact, in the
pharmacopornographic era (Preciado), what pornographic/sexual metaphors are
necessary for understanding and making sense of this new era?  Papers
addressing the intersections between the pornographic, the pharmaceutical,
new media and linguistic metaphor are of great interest.   Papers
addressing the ethnographic and socio-linguistic analysis of porno
metaphors and metaphors of porn are most welcome.

300 word abstract due by December 1, 2015

Send to Brian Adams-Thies, PhD at brianat73 at gmail.com

*Brian Adams-Thies, PhD*
*Anthropologist*
*brianat73 at gmail.com <brianat73 at gmail.com>*