[Linganth] Ethnographies of language and gender to teach to undergraduates - Invitation to edit

Barbara LeMaster Barbara.LeMaster at csulb.edu
Thu Nov 5 23:35:43 UTC 2015

This list looks great, Stephanie!  I want to invite everyone to contribute to, and know about a collection of language and gender syllabi I have on my website.  I post whatever people send to me.  If you don't mind, Stephanie, I'll post these ethnographies as a contribution from you.  My website address is below.

ALSO - Please, everyone, I want you to know that we are starting two BAs - one BA and an Option to the BA, really, and a minor.  We hope all will be approved for Fall 2016.  All of the courses have been approved.  The programs take a little longer to get full approval.  They have been approved at the college and department levels.  The minor gets approval just from our university.  The other two programs go through the chancellor's office.

Anyway - the BA is in ASL Linguistics and Deaf Cultures, and the Option is in ASL-English Interpreting, and the minor is in ASL and Deaf Cultures.  We have one tenure-track position open that we are currently and actively searching for.  If you know anyone even remotely qualified, and interested, please pass the job description along.  I am attaching it here.  Also, I will be looking for instructors to teach individual classes.  It's best if they have an MA and teaching experience, although occasionally we have hired someone with a BA and experience.  Please tell everyone you know.  We have a new email address for these new programs; it's: ASL at CSULB.EDU

Thank you.  And thank you, Stephanie, for the list of ethnographies.  It looks good!  Right now, I can't think of something else to contribute!

All the best,
Barbara

Dr. Barbara LeMaster
Director, ASL Linguistics and Deaf Cultures Program
Linguistics Search Committee, Chair
Professor,
Departments of Anthropology and Linguistics
CSULB, 1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840
Office:  FO3-322
Phone: (562) 985-5037
Fax:  (562) 985-4371
Email: Barbara.LeMaster at csulb.edu
Website: http://www.csulb.edu/~lemaster

Assistant Professor of ASL Linguistics
Recruitment #

2331

Position

Assistant Professor of ASL Linguistics

Effective Date

August 17, 2016 (Fall Semester)

Salary Range

Commensurate with qualifications and experience

Minimum Qualifications
         Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Linguistics or related field, with American Sign Language(ASL) linguistic research specialization.
         Degree at time of application or official notification of completion of the doctoral degree by August 1, 2016.
         Demonstrated potential for teaching and related areas such as research, scholarly and creative activities, commensurate with professional level.
         Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population
Desired/Preferred Qualifications
         Demonstrated excellence in effective teaching of undergraduate and graduate linguistic students.
         Demonstrated successful experience in teaching American Sign Language courses, preferably using the “Signing Naturally” curricula.
         Possession of an ASLTA certification.
         Demonstrated excellence in appropriate level of scholarly and creative activities focused on ASL.
         Ability to work well with local and wider American Deaf communities.
Duties
         Teach ASL courses to undergraduate linguistic students in levels one through five.
         Teach ASL linguistics course(s), and American Deaf Culture course at undergraduate level.
         Ability to teach other undergraduate and graduate linguistic courses in applicant’s area of specialization (e.g., syntax, semantics, phonology, language and culture, etc.)
         Engage in appropriate departmental, college, university, and community service.
         Conduct appropriate-level research on ASL or ASL-related issues.
         Connect with, and work with existing faculty to build university relationships with local and wider American Deaf communities.
CSULB seeks to recruit faculty who enthusiastically support the University’s strong commitment to the academic success of all of our students, including students of color, students with disabilities, students who are first generation to college, veterans, students with diverse socio-economic backgrounds, and students of diverse sexual orientations and gender expressions.  CSULB seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the People of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students a rich variety of expertise, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.

Required Documentation
         A Student Success Statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced)
         Letter of application addressing the minimum and desired/preferred qualifications
         CV (including current email address and telephone contact number)
         Three current letters of recommendation
         Copy of transcript from institution awarding highest degree
         Two samples of scholarly work on American Sign Language or ASL-related work.
         As finalist, provide proof of ASLTA certification, if applicable
         Finalists will also be required to submit a signed SC-1 form, three current letters of recommendation (if not already submitted), and an official transcript
Because of the nature of this position, the University requires that the successful candidate complete a background check (including a criminal records check) prior to assuming this position.
All required documentation must be submitted electronically through:
https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/6138

Any requests for information which must be addressed to:
Dr. Barbara LeMaster, Search Committee Chair
Director of the ASL Linguistics Program
California State University, Long Beach
Department of Linguistics
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840-0902
ASL at CSULB.edu<mailto:CLA-ASL at CSULB.edu>
(562) 985-5792