[Linganth] SLA Committee on Language and Social Justice call for volunteers

Becky Schulthies bschulthies at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 19:53:54 UTC 2015

Dear Society of Linguistic Anthropology Colleagues,

We are writing to seek volunteers to serve as a core committee member on
the SLA Committee for Language and Social Justice (LSJ). The LSJ committee
was created in 2009 out of the Task Group on Language and Social Justice
and is a standing committee within SLA. There are currently four core
committee members, two of whom will be leaving the committee at the end of
the year.

The LSJ committee works to increase awareness, both within the AAA and
among the general public, of the ways in which language is implicated in
social discrimination; and, where appropriate, to respond to specific
instances of language-related discrimination and injustice. To these ends,
the committee seeks to collect and disseminate knowledge concerning
language and social justice; to identify problems and issues in which
linguistic anthropologists can and should intervene, and to which
linguistic anthropological knowledge can and should be applied; to
organize, lead, and facilitate such interventions and applications; and to
advise the AAA Committee on Human Rights, the AAA Executive Board, and
other AAA bodies on how the AAA as a whole should respond to issues
concerning language and social justice.

If you are interested in serving as a LSJ core committee member, or
participating on the committee in any way, please contact Becky Schulthies
becky.schulthies at rutgers.edu or Janet McIntosh janetmc at brandeis.edu by
*November
25, 2015*. The SLA Executive Board appoints core members of the LSJ
committee after the SLA nominations committee has forwarded the names of
those interested. We hope you will share this announcement, urge colleagues
and consider participating yourself on this important committee.

We also want to thank Daniel Suslak & Patricia Baquedano-Lopez for their
service on the LSJ committee. They have helped make the work we do more
visible and relevant to current debates and issues of social
discrimination.

We look forward to hearing from you,

SLA Nominations Committee

Becky Schulthies