[Linganth] Revised AAA program: Thurs 1:45 Making the Familia Strange

Leila Monaghan leila.monaghan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 03:42:22 UTC 2015

Hi, the AAA has our program listed incorrectly so I wanted to let you all
know the corrected line up.

Looking forward to seeing you, should be an interesting session as we
combine linguistic anthropology theories and methods to look at issues in
history.

all best,

Leila

*Time: Thursday 1:45-3:30pm *

*3-0940 MAKING THE FAMILIAR STRANGE: USING LINGUISTIC ANTHROPOLOGICAL
THEORY AND METHODS TO UNDERSTAND HISTORICAL MOMENTS*

*Organizers:  *

Leila Monaghan (Southern Illinois University)

*Chairs:  *

Jillian R Cavanaugh (Brooklyn College, CUNY - Department of Anthropology &
Archaeology)

*Discussant:  *

Bernard Bate (Yale-NUS College, National University of Singapore)

1:45 PM

*Words in Revolution: Language, History and Metahistory in the
Mexican Revolution As Experienced By the Nahuas
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2015/webprogrampreliminary/Paper44644.html>*

Magnus Hansen (Brown University)

2:00 PM

*A Sha Fu Cu: 19th Century Baptist Prophet or 17th Century Buddhist Priest?
a Metasemiotic Perspective
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2015/webprogrampreliminary/Paper44641.html>*

Judith M. S. Pine (Western Washington University)

2:15 PM

*The Babble of Battle: Language Variation and Community Performance
Strategies at the Battle of Little Bighorn, 1876
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2015/webprogrampreliminary/Paper44642.html>*

Leila Monaghan (Southern Illinois University)

2:30 PM

*Dispelling  Myths about Language before Stonewall (1969)
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2015/webprogrampreliminary/Paper44645.html>*

William L Leap (American University, Department of Anthropology)

2:45 PM

Worcester, Massachusetts, 1909: Language in the Boas-Freud Intersection

John Leavitt (Université de Montréal)

3:00 PM

*Discussant
<https://aaa.confex.com/aaa/2015/webprogrampreliminary/Paper44646.html>*

Bernard Bate (Yale-NUS College, National University of Singapore)

3:15 PM

Discussion

--
Leila Monaghan, PhD