[Linganth] CFP: CMN'16, Seventh Workshop on Computational Models of Narrative

Ben Miller bjmiller at mit.edu
Mon Oct 12 20:30:03 UTC 2015

*

---FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS---

Seventh Workshop on Computational Models of Narrative (CMN'16)

Special Focus: Computational Narrative and the Humanities

a satellite workshop of:

Digital Humanities 2016 (DH2016)

11-13 July 2016

Kraków, Poland

http://narrative.csail.mit.edu/cmn16/

---IMPORTANT DATES---

7 March 2016.  Submission deadline.

11 April 2016.  Notification of acceptance.

16 May 2016.  Final Camera Ready Versions Due.

11-13 July 2016.  CMN’16.

11-16 July 2016.  DH2016.

---WORKSHOP AIMS---

The workshop series, Computational Models of Narrative (CMN) is
dedicated to advancing the computationally-grounded study of narrative.
  Now in its seventh iteration, the workshop has a tradition of crossing
academic borders and bringing together researchers from different
disciplines on a common object of study.  Narrative provides a model for
organizing and communicating experience, knowledge, and culture.
  Investigations of narrative operations in textual, aural, and visual
media have been systematically pursued in the humanities since before
the early structural linguistics and folklorist inspired work of the
Russian Formalists, and in the computing sciences since before the early
cognitive science inspired work on scripts and frames.  Research
continues on computational approaches across the humanities and
sciences.  In order to appreciate the various domains and approaches
connected to the computationally enabled study of narratives and
narrative theory, it is becoming increasingly clear that research in
this area requires engagement from many communities of interest.
  Peer-reviewed full proceedings from CMN’13, ‘14, and ‘15 are each
available in the OpenAccess Series in Informatics (OASIcs) published by
Schloss Dagstuhl.

Special Focus: Computational Narrative and the Humanities

This inter-disciplinary workshop will be an appropriate venue for papers
addressing fundamental topics and questions regarding narrative.  Papers
should be relevant to the computational modeling, and scientific or
humanistic understanding of narrative. The workshop will have a special
focus on how the computational modeling, analysis, or generation of
narrative has affected approaches in the humanities for studying and
generating narrative in or across textual, aural, or visual media.
  Possible themes could connect to the representation of narrative,
connections between cognition and narrative or knowledge representation
and narrative, the use of heuristics to handle complexity, incorporation
of insights about human thinking, the use of narrative to organize
information in the humanities, the relationship between top-down and
bottom-up approaches for narrative understanding, or how narrative is
seen to function differently depending upon the medium.  Regardless of
its topic, reported work should provide some sort of insight of use to
computational modeling of narratives. Discussing technological
applications or motivations is not prohibited, but is not required. We
accept both finished research and more tentative exploratory work.

We invite and encourage submissions either as full papers or position
papers, through the workshop's EasyChair
website:https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=cmn16

We also invite you to submit an abstract soon so that we can gauge the
number of submissions we can expect. (Submitting an abstract is possible
without submitting the full paper at the same time.)  Full papers should
contain original research and have to fit within 16 pages in the OASIcs
style (plus two pages of references); position papers can report on
work-in-progress, research plans or projects and have to fit within four
pages in the OASIcs style (plus one page of references).OASIcs webpage:
http://www.dagstuhl.de/en/publications/oasics

OASICs style: http://drops.dagstuhl.de/styles/oasics/oasics-authors.tgz

Illustrative Topics and Questions

- How can computational narratives be studied from a humanities point of
view?

- Are generative models of narrative texts, movies or video games
possible, desirable, and useful?

- What comprises the set of possible narrative arcs? Is there such a
set? How many possible story lines are there?

- Is narrative structure universal, or are there systematic differences
in narratives from different cultures?

- How are narratives affected by the media used to convey them?

- What aspects of cross-linguistic work has narrative research neglected?

- What opportunities are there for narrative analysis across languages?

- What makes narrative different from a list of events or facts?

- How do conceptions and models of spatiality or temporality influence
narrative and narrative theory?

- What are the details of the relationship between narrative and
language, image, or sound?

- How is narrative knowledge captured and represented?

- How are narratives indexed and retrieved? Is there a universal scheme
for encoding episodic information?

- What shared resources are required for the computational study of
narrative? What should a “Story Bank” contain?

- What shared resources and tools are available, or how can
already-extant resources be adapted to the study of narrative?

- What are appropriate formal or computational representations for
narrative?

- How should we evaluate computational and formal models of narrative?

- Can narrative be subsumed by current models of higher-level cognition,
or does it require new approaches?

- How do narratives mediate our cognitive experiences, or affect our
cognitive abilities?

- How can narrative systems be applied to problem-solving?

- How far are we from a theory of narrative adaptation across media?

---ORGANIZING COMMITTEE---

- Antonio Lieto (University of Turin, Italy)

- Ben Miller (Georgia State University, USA)

- Rémi Ronfard (Inria, LJK, University of Grenoble, France)

- Stephen Ware (University of New Orleans, USA)

- Mark A. Finlayson (Florida International University, USA)

---PROGRAM COMMITTEE---

David Elson, Columbia University & Google

Floris Bex, Utrecht University

Rossana Damiano, University of Turin

Kerstin Dautenhahn, University of Hertfordshire

Pablo Gervás, Complutense University of Madrid

Andrew Gordon, ICT

Livia Polanyi, LDM Associates

Marie-Laure Ryan, University of Colorado Boulder

**

Tim Tangherlini, UCLA

Mariet Theune, University of Twente

Atif Waraich, Manchester Metropolitan University

Mehul Bhatt, University of Bremen

Emmett Tomai, University of Texas-Pan American

Neil Cohn, UCSD

Inderjeet Mani, Yahoo Labs

Loizos Michael, Open University of Cyprus

Chris Meister, Hamburg University

Fritz Breithaupt, Indiana University

Benedikt Löwe, Universität Hamburg

*