[Linganth] ling anth work on human-robot interaction?

Michael H. Agar magar at umd.edu
Sat Sep 12 16:06:03 UTC 2015

Hi Rebecca. Appreciate hearing what you learn. I was recently on a diss committee at CMU around developing a service robot that could shift communication style depending on human request style, and just before that on a similar project to develop a "serious game" that taught Americans to be sensitive to options in conversational openings and direct/indirect discourse. The latter project I wrote up a little in an article called "Looking for Culture in All the Right Places," http://cultusjournal.com/files/Archives/cultus_6_2nd_edition_2015.pdf. I'm getting more interested since I was invited by Informatics at Indiana to give a talk in January because they use The Lively Science in a course, making me wonder why. I'm getting the feeling that after using the computer for decades as the appropriate formalism for some of the work we anthros do that now it's goes around comes around time and the computer wants to learn from us how better to interact in human worlds. Kind of an expansion on the tradition that Lucy Suchman started at Xerox Parc many moons ago. I'm thinking of looking at the recent work of many anthros, of which I'm mostly ignorant, who work in the digital world, at least to get clear on robots vs avatars vs just plain algorithms in machines that people use, or vice-versa. Interesting in return as a "forcing function" as they say for our theory. Also worrisome in terms of recent work like Bostrom's. Haven't done much research yet except to watch Ex Machina a few times (:

Hope the ramble helps some. Please do let me know what you find out.

Mike Agar
www.ethknoworks.com<http://www.ethknoworks.com>