[Linganth] Colleagues, questions on camera equipment for field research

Feray J.Baskin fbaskin at umail.iu.edu
Wed Sep 16 16:34:55 UTC 2015

That's a great suggestion! I just created a google drive doc and shared it
with you.
Hopefully it will work.
Best,

fjb

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Nathaniel Dumas <nadumas at ucsc.edu> wrote:

> Thanks all! Since this sounds like a communal need, would it be best if I
> set up a general Google drive sheet for people to add to and constantly use
> as a resource? If so, I could make one today and send out the link for
> everyone to view/add.
>
> Cheers,
> Nate
>
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 9:16 AM, Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway <
> erhoffma at oberlin.edu> wrote:
>
>> I'd love to see what people recommend also. I need to buy a new camera
>> very soon...
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 11:47 PM, Priscila Leal <pbluth at hawaii.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Nate,
>>> That's an great question and I'd be interested in the recommendations as
>>> well - ping.
>>> Cordially,
>>> Priscila
>>>
>>> On Sep 15, 2015, at 11:11, Nathaniel Dumas <nadumas at ucsc.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear Colleagues,
>>>
>>> Hope your semesters/quarters are off to a great start! I'm in the middle
>>> of helping the design thinking firm I work for upgrade their A/V
>>> capabilities for research and I wanted to get recommendations from my
>>> fellow linguistic anthropologists working with video. We're especially
>>> interested in camcorders that are not too intrusive (size-wise) in the
>>> field setting, are able to have a decent image quality (not looking for
>>> commercial/high-end production quality), not too difficult to use (since
>>> not all of us on research teams are as tech savvy), and, of course, are
>>> affordable.
>>>
>>> Feel free to respond to me offline at nadumas at ucsc.edu. And the more
>>> suggestions the merrier so I can give the leadership more options to pick
>>> from.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Nate
>>>

>>> --
>>> Nathaniel Dumas
>>> Research Associate, Department of Anthropology
>>> University of Santa Cruz
>>> nadumas at ucsc.edu

>> --
>> Erika Hoffmann-Dilloway
>> Associate Professor
>> Oberlin College
>> On leave academic year 2015-2016
>>

> --
> Nathaniel Dumas
> Research Associate, Department of Anthropology
> University of Santa Cruz
> nadumas at ucsc.edu

Feray J. BASKIN
Department of International Studies,
*Communications Liaison*
Department of Anthropology,
Indiana University- Bloomington
Academic Coordinator, London Center for Social Studies (LCSS)
"Spreken is zilver, zwijgen is goud"
“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world” ~Ludwig
Wittgenstein~