[Linganth] Colleagues, questions on camera equipment for field research

Stephen Campbell Rea srea at uci.edu
Wed Sep 16 16:39:18 UTC 2015

I used a Sony Handycam in my research in Korea, one of the HDR models (I
can check the specific model number later today and enter it into the
Google sheet if that helps). I was recording gestures inside of internet
cafés where the lighting can be extremely low, so picture resolution was my
main concern. However, the audio quality is also excellent. It's not the
smallest camera on the market by any means, but it's also not too unwieldy,
easy to carry around from field site to field site, and depending on the
battery that you buy can last for several hours. For the price, I think
it's one of the best options out there. It even has a built-in projector,
which I've never taken advantage of myself but could be useful for
presentations. Data is stored on a memory card, so that's another thing to
keep in mind re: downloading/uploading video. Hope this is helpful!

Cheers,

Stevie