[Linganth] Compilation of responses to Re: audio digital recording for phones

Ignasi Clemente ignasiclemente at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 00:31:56 UTC 2015

Here are the responses to my question about audio digital recording for phones. Thank you Lynnette, Nico, Stephanie, Wen, Netta, and Jill.
Ignasi

Lynnette:

For my dissertation research, which involved several families recording transnational cellphone calls, I used a cheap device called the Olympus TP-8, which consists of an earpiece with a microphone mounted on the back. Participants would wear this earpiece in their ear, and then plug it into connect it to a simple MP3 recorder. I rigged up little cases for the audio recorders with carabiner clips so people could clip them to their belts and move around as usual. This system was cheap and very easy for people to learn how to use, and resulted in remarkably good recordings that picked up the voices on both ends of the phone quite well despite significant background noise and the sometimes sketchy transnational connection.

Nico:

I’ve used one of these in a past project:

 http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack-phone-recorder-controller-multi-single/4300421.html

 It worked very well with quite decent sound quality.

Stephanie Feyne:

In iPhone there is a native app -

Voice Memos.

I've used that to record long conversations.

You have to have enough memory in your phone for extended recordings.

And you then can transfer it to a computer.

I'm sure there are also other apps that can do it.

Wen:

Although it's Buzzfeed, they had a good article about tech tools for journalists that included a list of phone recording apps:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/nicolenguyen/you-stay-classy-san-diego#.ro16pnB7L

Netta:

I've found DropVox to be a great & easy-to-use tool...recordings upload directly to your Dropbox:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dropvox-record-voice-memos/id416288287?mt=8

Jill:

there are free and cheap aps for that, google it. you can record it while youre on a phone call via your cell phone.